Friday, April 2, 2010

Home-cooked

On Thursday, two male work colleagues told me that I looked like I've lost some weight. Guy #1 asked what I've done. I simply told him that I've been taking lighter breakfast and eat home-cooked food for dinner. He didn't believe me.
Guy #2 asked whether I've been seriously working out. Well, it's a widely known fact that I used to be a 'moody' gym-goer. I only worked out when I was really in the mood. I told him the same thing about the breakfast.
It's true, I have been having cereal with milk for breakfast. I bought one packet everyweek. The cereal I chose was a mix of nut, fruit, seed and oat and it's low in sugar content. Usually I took half a cup every morning and it made me feel full until about 11 a.m. Then it's already time for my morning snack. These days I stock up some healthy biscuits in my drawer as I've sworn to myself that I won't have those oily, salty chips for snacking anymore.
Lunch time is the only time when I can pig out a bit. However, having learned on portion control and practicing it, I couldn't even finish half a plate of pasta at Italiannies. I usually have Asian food for lunch; kway teow soup, fried rice, hawkers' food etc. Many people believe that Asian food are generally oily, spicy, creamy and salty. However, if we choose wisely many of them are quite healthy; even healthier than just torturing yourself by having salad.
Dinner is much simpler but satisfying these days. I cook at least 4 days a week. Bought pasar malam food on Tuesday and Friday while on the weekends we'd eat out at least twice. All these while I always tried to find excuses not to cook dinner. However, I have found a way to make it easier. The secret is to always plan ahead. Although it means there's a lot more work to be done, so far it's less stressful than before. When we used to eat out almost every night, I was always chased by guilt for I knew outside food is laden with MSG and whatnots.
The only sacrifice I have to make is leave the gym 30 minutes earlier, have a quick shower and start preparing dinner after Maghrib prayer. Since I've planned for the meals at least one day ahead, it took me only about 40  minutes to prepare a decent dinner. I stock up blended chilli in the fridge.
I've also bought a set of Tupperware's freezer-mate from my friend to keep the cleaned fish, chicken or other seafood. Frozen food is always thawed in the refrigerator since morning. By the time I prepare dinner I just need to take them out of the container. I don't use coconut cream in my cooking, so it's just a matter of peeling the onions and sometimes ginger. Easy peasy. If only I thought about this since 6 years ago.....!
It's not too late for everybody to start preparing home-cooked food. The key word is PLAN (and perhaps COMMIT).

3 comments:

Ken Wooi said...

no pictures included? =)

D.N.A.S said...

Hi Kenwooi,
food picture or mine? Hehe.

dillazag said...

Kak Dayang,
what kind of food do you cook at home?