Monday, November 30, 2009

Music

Music can sooth the savage beast (unless you play them Metallica numbers from the late 80s...)

I've been experimenting with music since I was small. I'm no musician and when I say experimenting it's more towards testing how the genre fit to my own ears. And guess what, we should also test how they fit with the rhythm of our hearts too.

There are many health articles published which relate to genre of music and how each of them can affect your way of thinking and certain physical reactions. Take classical music for an instance. Studies found that it's best to play it at restaurants and while studying (I suppose it's more suitable for students who are trying to memorize facts). Classical music is known for its smooth and harmonious sound which helps us to eat slower and giving the body ample time for better digestion. Same goes for the students. They need to digest and memorize facts. Classical music's tempo tells the brain to take its time processing information and there's no need to rush anything.

Hard rock, dance tunes and heavy metal might not be suitable to be played for people who prefers fine dining but they're not bad sounds either. Fast tempo and loud noises somehow help to pump one's adrenaline to get onto their feet and do something. Hence the tracks selected for group exercises classes usually consist of the 3 genres of music. They signal the brain to get things moving - well at least your feet would start tapping. Having said that, it doesn't mean students can't listen to those music. I found Mathematical problems can be solved faster when I have these musics playing on my walkman (at least they were some 15 years ago).

During my uni times (when there's no iPod but life was pretty much simpler) I had to carry a huge bag to the library just to make sure I have all the necessary cassettes available. Just imagine, different music for different subject. Van Halen for calculus, Bryan Adams for High Speed Network, Rod Stewart for Microprocessor, Bon Jovi for Assembly Language etc etc...

These days I continue on experimenting with music even though I don't have to study much. Still I need different music for different situation. Nickelback for cardio sessions, Bee Gees when I do weight training, Beyonce when I need to write nasty emails, Pussycat Dolls when I need to focus on the road etc etc etc...

However, I don't need music to fall asleep. Looking after 3 kids is tiring enough to make me enter La La land easily.

3 comments:

Clarisse Teagen said...

i sometimes need to use music to help me sleep. Too many things on my mind. There was this one time however i accidentally fell aslepp to a P.Diddy tune. you know how hip hop is with vulgarity agression, etc :P yeah. I woke in the morning pumped up and mad.

LOL. First and last!

D.N.A.S said...

Hi Clarisse,
I can't imagine falling asleep to any of Eminem's song. You'll wake up and start bitching and whining about everything.

D.N.A.S said...

Hi Clarisse,
I can't imagine falling asleep to any of Eminem's song. You'll wake up and start bitching and whining about everything.