Skip to main content

Finally.... an update!

I haven't posted anything here since October 2011! That's almost 2 years of laziness, I know!
So, where should I start? What should I update first?
Perhaps I should start the entry with my current weight. Well, after almost a year of neglect, well not really neglecting my health, I had a bad fall in December 2011 and another fall in December 2012, I look like someone who has been on a yoyo diet. Life has been funny. I was not able to run for quite some time. My gym sessions had been reduced to once or twice a month between March 2012 - October 2012.
My right knee and back were affected after the fall I had in December 2012. It took a few months to recover. I only started exercising again some time in late February 2013.
Between January - November 2012 my weight skyrocketed to a new height. I was almost as heavy as my 9 months pregnant self. It really scared me when I was getting heart palpitations in October 2012. So, I went to see a cardiologist and she did all the necessary tests. Thank god everything was OK.
I quit my job in November 2012 and stayed at home since. Of course, my children were happy to have their mom at home everyday. Early in the morning (or the night before) they would tell me what they'd like to have for lunch. So, I have been sharpening my cooking skills ever since.
The good thing about eating home cooked food, I managed to control my portion and ensure only healthy dishes are served on the table. The results are slow but I'm not complaining - lost 6 kg in 6 months. Not that bad, eh?
So, now after Ramadhan and Eid celebration, I'm hitting the gym on a more regular basis. Although my knees can't handle BodyCombat classes anymore, I'm happy with Zumba and (sometimes) BodyJam. As long as the instructor plays my favorite tracks, that will keep me returning to the classes.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired

Today I rushed to the gym at 5pm with the intention to join BodyVive class. I was watching the class in progress about two weeks ago and decided it's not high impact and perhaps I could try it out. It took me 30 minutes to reach FF IOI. When I've changed into my gym gear the class have already started. I went in and headed straight to the front. Except for a geeky looking guy and the instructor, there were all ladies in the class. After the first track, I noticed a really old Ah Soh in the line behind me. I thought she must be already in her 70s. She looked frail, her hair was all white, her face and hands were all wrinkly and her movement was very slow. But she followed the class anyway. The instructor was also very considerate. He showed the old lady the right moves and explained them clearly to her during every track. It turned out, BodyVive was a very low impact exercise. I only started to sweat during the 5th track. But it's a good starting point for newcomers. A...

Running

When I started going to the gym almost 5 years ago I couldn't run. I climbed the stairs to my office lobby with great difficulty and couldn't run at all. My right knee was giving me problems beside having to carry such a heavy body weight. I could do the crosstrainer, stationary bikes, elliptical and stepper at the gym but I couldn't even jog on the treadmill. When I joined GX classes, the instructor always reminded me to do the 'options'. I.e no jumping, no hopping and no quick lunges. After about 6 months of regular exercise I tried running but my joints were still not good enough. I started using guards to protect them. I could jog for a few minutes after about a year or so. My joints got stronger but I started to feel breathless after 3 minutes of slow jog. I knew I was still not fit enough to run. The fact is I was never a runner. Back in high school, I participated in the 100m and 400m races because they were compulsory. I also participated in the annual ...

Step One

As advised by friends and colleagues, I consulted my gynae regarding the workout sessions that I'm planning to have for the next month or so. Surprisingly, she told me that I should only start joining the aerobics classes, BodyCombat, BodyAttack and  other high impact exercises after 6 months. That means, I can only start those exercises in March 2010!! Awwww...!!! In the mean time I can only do the low impact ones like the elliptical trainer, wave machine, rower, stationary bike and treadmill (no running though). I should also be wearing the tummy binder during my work out session. I have already started doing some resistance training but limited myself to the lightest weight possible. This is going to be like starting from zero all over again. Taking baby steps for the next one month and later increase the resistance and speed gradually. By right everything should be back to normal by April 2010? Yes? No? Don't know yet. My gynae also advised to defer hiring Personal Trai...