Skip to main content

Injury

What does the instructor always tells you? Push your limit. Prevent injury. Those two are the often heard whenever you attend Group Classes (or if you watch too many Biggest Loser  episodes..)

These days I try to push my limits. From running at 7.0 speed to 8.0 to 8.5 and sometimes 9.0. I also increased the weight for resistance training. For abdominal crunches I have also increased from 20 to 25kg.
Everything was going okay. My body could keep up with the challenge. Although sometimes, more muscles became sore. Well these are the (muscles) that have turned into MUSCLES, I guess.

Then suddenly on Tuesday, I decided it's about time to increase to 30kg (for abdominal crunches). I set the weight, set my position right. Towel checked. iPod checked. Favorite rock song checked. I was so ready, took a normal breath and pulled. Then I felt something snapped in my tummy. The left side of my C-sect incision. I exhaled, returned to sitting position and tried to relax. After a minute I tried to attempt another crunch, my tummy could not do it. No crunch possible. I took a few more deep breath, stood up and walked slowly towards the bar.

There was no pain, but since I didn't know what actually snapped, I decided to rest for awhile. After a few drinks, I walked about. Still no pain. Then I decided to run for another 15 minutes. Jumped onto the nearest available treadmill and started with 5.7Km/h.

Everything seemed ok. When I went home, that night I still didn't feel any pain.

Until today, no pain.

So, what was that (that snapped)? Hmmmm... need to see the gynae to really find out, I guess...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired

Today I rushed to the gym at 5pm with the intention to join BodyVive class. I was watching the class in progress about two weeks ago and decided it's not high impact and perhaps I could try it out. It took me 30 minutes to reach FF IOI. When I've changed into my gym gear the class have already started. I went in and headed straight to the front. Except for a geeky looking guy and the instructor, there were all ladies in the class. After the first track, I noticed a really old Ah Soh in the line behind me. I thought she must be already in her 70s. She looked frail, her hair was all white, her face and hands were all wrinkly and her movement was very slow. But she followed the class anyway. The instructor was also very considerate. He showed the old lady the right moves and explained them clearly to her during every track. It turned out, BodyVive was a very low impact exercise. I only started to sweat during the 5th track. But it's a good starting point for newcomers. A...

Running

When I started going to the gym almost 5 years ago I couldn't run. I climbed the stairs to my office lobby with great difficulty and couldn't run at all. My right knee was giving me problems beside having to carry such a heavy body weight. I could do the crosstrainer, stationary bikes, elliptical and stepper at the gym but I couldn't even jog on the treadmill. When I joined GX classes, the instructor always reminded me to do the 'options'. I.e no jumping, no hopping and no quick lunges. After about 6 months of regular exercise I tried running but my joints were still not good enough. I started using guards to protect them. I could jog for a few minutes after about a year or so. My joints got stronger but I started to feel breathless after 3 minutes of slow jog. I knew I was still not fit enough to run. The fact is I was never a runner. Back in high school, I participated in the 100m and 400m races because they were compulsory. I also participated in the annual ...

It's 2025!!!!

 It's been more than 5 years of not updating this blog. Yeay! Hahaha! That's a new record! Now that I'm almost 51, I have to say that I'm so thankful I can still work out at the gym as well as outdoor. I'm still enjoying dance fitness classes and started outdoor cycling last year. Not doing it often as it's very dependent on the weather. Dancing, brisk walking and some weight training are the workouts that I can still do comfortably. Body Combat and Body Attack are not in my dictionary anymore. All those high impact exercises are now doing more harm than good to my body.  I've also added some supplements for the benefits of my health. This includes probiotics and prebiotics. When you've reached 5 series, your metabolic rate becomes low and your gut are not as efficient as when you were younger. That was the main reason I did a gut reset in December 2024.  Alhamdulillah now I sleep better at night and have less craving for sweet and fried food. Although s...